By David Bradshaw,Kevin J. H. Dettmar
- An crucial source for college kids and lecturers of modernist literature and culture
- Broad in scope and accomplished in coverage
- Includes greater than 60 contributions from probably the most exclusive modernist students on either side of the Atlantic
- Brings jointly entries on components of modernist tradition, modern highbrow and aesthetic events, and the entire genres of modernist writing and art
- Features 25 essays at the sign texts of modernist literature, from James Joyce’s Ulysses to Zora Neal Hurston’s Their Eyes have been looking at God
- Pays shut recognition to either British and American modernism
Read or Download A Companion to Modernist Literature and Culture (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary modernism criticism books
Tough traditional buildings of the Harlem Renaissance and American modernism, Daylanne English hyperlinks writers from either activities to debates approximately eugenics within the revolutionary period. She argues that, within the Twenties, the shape and content material of writings via figures as disparate as W. E. B. Du Bois, T.
Reframing Yeats, the 1st severe examine of its type, strains the historic improvement of W. B. Yeats's writings around the genres, reading his poetry, autobiographical writings, feedback, and drama with a similar severe research. whereas current reports of Yeats's paintings make a choice from a biographical orientation or a formalist technique, Armstrong's research combines the idea of latest Historicism and Hermeneutics: a theoretical procedure that takes Yeatsian scholarship one step additional.
First released in 2003. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.
How used to be the modernist circulate understood via most people whilst it used to be first rising? this question might be addressed by way of how modernist literature and paintings have been interpreted through reporters in day-by-day newspapers, mainstream magazines like Punch and conceit reasonable, and literary magazines. within the earliest many years of the circulation – earlier than modernist artists have been thought of vital, and ahead of modernism’s that means was once in actual fact understood – a lot of those interpretations took the shape of parodies.
- Staging Modernist Lives: H.D., Mina Loy, Nancy Cunard, Three Plays and Criticism
- Max Klinger and Wilhelmine Culture: On the Threshold of German Modernism
- Locating August Strindberg's Prose: Modernism, Transnationalism, and Setting
- Imagining Ireland in the Poems and Plays of W. B. Yeats: Nation, Class, and State (New Directions in Irish and Irish American Literature)
- Colonialism and the Modernist Moment in the Early Novels of Jean Rhys (Studies in Major Literary Authors)
- Civil Antisemitism, Modernism, and British Culture, 1902–1939
Additional info for A Companion to Modernist Literature and Culture (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)